20th Anniversary Event
20th Anniversary Global Event Arc
- 1 20th Anniversary Global Event Arc
- 1.1 Non-Storyline Changes
- 1.2 Storyline
- 1.2.1 Part I – The Not-So-Ordinary World
- 1.2.2 Part II – Exotic Treasures
- 18.104.22.168 Official fiction
- 22.214.171.124 The Town Cryer
- 126.96.36.199 New Treasure Maps
- 188.8.131.52.1 What to Hunt
- 184.108.40.206.2 The Treasure Hunt
- 220.127.116.11 New items found in the treasure obelisks
- 1.2.3 Part III – An Ethereal Journey
- 18.104.22.168 Official fiction
- 22.214.171.124 The Town Cryer
- 126.96.36.199 Map Changes
- 188.8.131.52 Quests
- 184.108.40.206 Marsh Hall
- 220.127.116.11 Mythran The Thaumaturgist
- 18.104.22.168 Heigel The Scholar
- 22.214.171.124 Warrior of Ether Quest
- 126.96.36.199.1 Heart of Earth
- 188.8.131.52.2 Tongue of Flames
- 184.108.40.206.3 Breath of Air
- 220.127.116.11.4 Tear of Seas
- 18.104.22.168.5 Becoming the Warrior of Ether
- 1.2.4 Part IV: The Evil From Afar
- 22.214.171.124 Official fiction
- 126.96.36.199 The Town Cryer
- 188.8.131.52 Eligibility For Part V
- 184.108.40.206 The Invasion
- 220.127.116.11.1 Invasion Groups
- 18.104.22.168.1.1 Humanoid Monstrosities Group - Yew
- 22.214.171.124.1.2 Air Group - Minoc
- 126.96.36.199.1.3 Draconic Group - Britain
- 188.8.131.52.1.4 Swamp Group - Trinsic
- 184.108.40.206.1.5 Fiery Beasts Group - Moonglow
- 220.127.116.11.1.6 Undead Group - Skara Brae
- 18.104.22.168.1.7 Water Group - Vesper
- 22.214.171.124.1.8 Military Group - all cities
- 126.96.36.199.2 Invasion Armor
- 188.8.131.52.3 Invasion Weapons
- 184.108.40.206.1 Invasion Groups
- 1.2.5 Part V – September 28, 2017
- 1.3 References
The Town Cryer
The Town Cryer has been resurrected to publish new fiction for the first time since 2000. Issues are now released using a in-game item that looks like a newspaper, rather than being posted out-of-game to uo.com.
Three new Haochi's Pigments have been added to the UO Store: (8/16/2017)
Part I – The Not-So-Ordinary World
This part started on August 16th, 2017.
- On 8/17/2017, just after 3 PM EST, the new flaming trade quest ambushes were deactivated due to a bug. They were turned back on on 8/18/2017 after server maintenance for all shards except Oceania.  Oceania was turned back on after server maintenance on 8/19/2017.
"It is just another day in Britannia, or is it? In an effort to stimulate trade and bolster city treasuries his Royal Highness has announced a reduction in tariffs, giving a large bonus to all city trade deliveries. With an increase in trade traffic, royal trade carts are finding themselves ambushed on Britannia’s roads. Who are these unknown attackers and what is their intent? Are they merely highway men looking to score some easy coin or are there more sinister forces at work…"
- 2017-08-10: The Shattered Obelisk: The Oracle and the Bard
- 2017-08-16: The Shattered Obelisk: Enlightenment
- 2017-08-21: The Shattered Obelisk: Hickory Dickory Dock
The Town Cryer
New 'curious' items come as rare drops from doing trade quests:
|A Daemonic Amulet||Magery||The amulet bears a large pentagram hanging from a series of interlocking beads. Small bits of daemon flesh grind between the links as you manipulate them.|
|A Mysterious Rolled Map||Cartography||The map shows the location of several locations throughout Britannia, but none seem to stand out as noteworthy.|
|An Oddly Modified Gorget||Blacksmithing||The gorget appears to have been modified to fit the neck of a large creature. There are chafe marks scarring the interior showing signs of struggle against it by the wearer. Large rings stud the circumference of the gorget.|
|A Soul Trapped Within A Phylactery||Necromancy||A tool used by those wishing to entrap the souls of the undead and command them to do their bidding.|
|Boline||Swordsmanship||The crescent blade is crude but you surmise is formidable for performing intricate engraving work. The tip is stained with the shavings of wax and soft metal.|
|Dried Incense||Alchemy||The strong smell of sage and deadwood emanates from the bundle.|
|Folded Stole||Tailoring||Often used during official ceremonies and ritual this long flowing vestment is worn draped over the neck and is embroidered with pentagrams at either end.|
|Goblet||Tinkering||The goblet is relatively unassuming. The interior of the pewter cup is stained a deep ruby. An etching of a pentagram decorates the base.|
|Pentagram Adorned Wand||Arms Lore||The wand is pretty standard among other wands you may have seen. The twin shaft is made of cedar and is crested with an intricate pentagram made of etched rock, inlaid with blueish crystals.|
|Ritual Tome||Spirit Speak||The large tome is adorned with a pentagram, not uncommon to many arcane items found throughout Britannia. There appear to be pages upon pages of ritualistic instructions and incantations, none of which are in a familiar language.|
|Scourge||Provocation||Not unlike tools used to provoke a response from an intended victim, this whip is studded with beads of hard rock. The leather is stained deep red from repeated self use.|
Some unusually hued normal items have also been spotted as loot on brigand ambushers:
- Bear Mask (hue 2683)
- Cloak (hue 1150)
- Cloak (hue 2406)
- Cloth Ninja Hood (hue 2406)
- Gnarled Staff (hue 1345)
- Hatchet (hue 1345)
- Hooded Robe (hue 1345)
- Kamishimo (hue 1745)
- Kilt (hue 1208)
- Kilt (hue 1227)
- Kilt (hue 1616)
- Kilt (hue 1802)
- Kilt (hue 1883)
- Leather Gloves (hue 1345)
- Leather Mempo (hue 1345)
- Leather Ninja Hood (hue 1748)
- Leather Sleeves (hue 1345)
- Plain Dress (hue 2404)
- Ringmail Tunic (hue 1510)
- Robe (hue 1345)
- Robe (hue 2306)
- Shirt (hue 1201)
- Shirt (hue 1224)
- Shirt (hue 1324)
- Shirt (hue 1416)
- Shirt (hue 1427)
- Shirt (hue 1512)
- Shirt (hue 1520)
- Shirt (hue 1536)
- Shirt (hue 1540)
- Shirt (hue 1547)
- Shirt (hue 1637)
- Shirt (hue 1650)
- Shirt (hue 1708)
- Shirt (hue 1714)
- Shirt (hue 1723)
- Shirt (hue 1729)
- Shirt (hue 1731)
- Shirt (hue 1746)
- Shirt (hue 1747)
- Shirt (hue 1809)
- Shirt (hue 1824)
- Shirt (hue 1884)
- Short Pants (hue 1202)
- Short Pants (hue 1310)
- Short Pants (hue 1314)
- Short Pants (hue 1525)
- Short Pants (hue 1634)
- Short Pants (hue 1710)
- Short Pants (hue 1886)
- Skirt (hue 1405)
- Skirt (hue 1431)
- Skirt (hue 1635)
- Skullcap (hue 2406)
Other colors of clothing have been found, but this listing excludes any dyable colors.
Part II – Exotic Treasures
This part started on August 23, 2017.
The treasuries of Britannia’s cities overflow with coin as brave citizens take to protecting the commerce of the realm, hoping to recover otherwise useless trinkets of unknown highwaymen. Clues from those trinkets have raised more questions then they have answered. As the questions continue to mount, exotic treasures are found buried deep in the otherwise quiet Britannian countryside…to what end are these treasures important and what role do they play – only time will tell…
The Town Cryer
New Treasure Maps
To start this week's content, the Town Cryer's advertisement sends you to Needful Things in Jhelom, northeast of the central teleporters. There you meet an NPC named Al the Treasure Hunter:
- Al the Treasure Hunter: Greetings Traveler! Is it fine provisions you seek? Then look no further!
- Player: I saw your ad, can I buy some maps?
- Al the Treasure Hunter: You and everyone else! Ever since running that ad we haven't been able to keep anything in stock, treasure maps especially! Look friend, don't take this the wrong way but you wouldn't want to get involved in treasure hunting. Dangerous business you know.
- Player: I think I can handle it. I've got coin!
- Al the Treasure Hunter: The coin is nay the problem! I merely do not have any more maps to sell!
- Player: Perhaps I could find them for myself?
- Al the Treasure Hunter: I suppose there is no harm in telling you...you will probably end up getting yourself eaten by something and my associates and I will scavenge that fancy gear of yours *chuckles*
- Player: *eyes narrow* The location?
- Al the Treasure Hunter: *nervous laugh* Fine, fine! Us Treasure Hunters get together every so often, and recently we have been coming across some strange stuff buried out there. Normally we find pirate treasure or the hidden stash of some highway bandits, but recently...I dunno. Instead of rusty chests there have been these...objects. I really dunno how to describe them. Kinda like a statue with weird carvings...and the flashes and thunder, really bizarre. Treasure's all there though, same creatures still protecting them, just now we been finding these statue things from maps recovered from Hythloth, Deceit, and Destard. Good luck getting your hands on one though!
- Player: *nods* I'll have a look, farewell!
- Al the Treasure Hunter: Well met, *mumbles* can't wait to come across your corpse in...I mean good luck with everything and thanks for stopping in!
What to Hunt
This lists all mobs from those 3 dungeons which are known to drop treasure maps:
Level 1: Plainly Drawn
- Blazing Gargoyle
- Burning Gargoyle
- Fiery Gargoyle
- Fire Gargoyle
- Flaming Gargoyle
- Scalding Gargoyle
- Scorching Gargoyle
- Searing Gargoyle
- Smoldering Gargoyle
- Sweltering Gargoyle
Level 2: Expertly Drawn
Level 3: Adeptly Drawn
Level 4: Cleverly Drawn
Level 5: Deviously Drawn
Level 6: Ingeniously Drawn
Level 7: Diabolically Drawn
The Treasure Hunt
They can be traded between characters, and must be decoded by a character with Cartography skill.
|Level||Cartography Skill Required|
|1: Plainly Drawn||27.0|
|2: Expertly Drawn||71.0|
|3: Adeptly Drawn||81.0|
|4: Cleverly Drawn||91.0|
|5: Deviously Drawn||100|
|6: Ingeniously Drawn||100|
|7: Diabolically Drawn||100|
When decoded and opened, these maps will have an additional tag, "Recovered in Dungeon (dungeon name)", with the description "The map appears unlike other treasure maps common to this area. The map is much newer and includes detailed notations related to the treasure hoarde's proximity to major trade routes."
A group of guardians will spawn, which must be killed. Then the obelisk must be destroyed before the treasure can be unlocked - target the green crystal at the top. A "Stone Base" will be left behind.
The Stone Base looks different, but functions exactly like a normal treasure chest. To unlock, use either Lockpicking or the spell Unlock on the top of the obelisk, not the base (the "Obelisk Tip" part). The stone base will then be trapped; the Remove Trap skill or the Telekinesis spell can be used to remove the traps.
While looting the stone base, additional mobs will spawn, until the stone base is empty.
New items found in the treasure obelisks
Double clicking on these scrolls gives the message, "*The scroll seems unwilling to unfurl. Perhaps it belongs in a spellbook of otherworldly origin...*".
|Candle (black)||Magery||A rather unassuming candle, from what you understand it has some ritualistic use.|
|Candle (red)||Magery||A rather unassuming candle, from what you understand it has some ritualistic use.|
However, the other reagents are identical in all respects to the old items.
Part III – An Ethereal Journey
This part started on August 30, 2017:
- 2017-08-30: "This part is now active on Origin & Europa, and as we monitor the event it will become active on additional shards. Siege will be active following its next scheduled maintenance."
- Update as of 4:45pm ET: Part III is now active on Atlantic. If the monitoring period goes well, we will activate all shards at 8pm ET. Thank you for your patience while we roll out the next phase of the arc.
- Not posted, but all other shards except Seige started seeing the rollout around 8pm ET as expected.
- Update 8/31/2017: Due to an unforeseen issue on Siege Perilous, Part III of the Shattered Obelisk will be available after Siege Perilous’ next maintenance on 9/1/2017. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
Skara Brae reels from the devastation of a recent earthquake, Britain’s farms are engulfed in an inferno, and Vesper is drowned in catastrophic floods – despite these events, the whole of Britannia seems mostly unfazed. Perhaps a testament to the resolve of the Britannian people, or are there riches drawing the attention of would be treasure seekers – to what end are these events connected? Will it be too late before that question is answered…
- 2017-08-30: The Shattered Obelisk: The House Between There and Here
- 2017-09-01: The Shattered Obelisk: Lurker
- 2017-09-01: The Shattered Obelisk: The Mountain King
The Town Cryer
- Houses in the Britain farms are on fire
- Part of eastern Vesper is under water (you can still walk on the new water areas)
- There is a new crack in the ground, and mountain ridge off-shore, in the northern part of Skara Brae. (This change actually went in with Publish 98's client patch, but now the storyline has caught up with the map change.)
- The Minoc mines are blocked by a rockfall.
Double click on the city herald to get the first quest. (It is not in his popup menu; you have to double click). You'll get the first quest, which is just to buy a newspaper from him, and to read it.
Upon doing so, you'll be offerred the next quest, which sends you to Vesper's Marsh Hall.
In Marsh Hall you'll find 3 NPCs wearing cloaks. Speak to each of them.
- Baroness *She looks at you with disinterest and a furled lip*
- Player: Begging thy pardon, may I sit?
- Baroness If you must.
- Player: Fine day? Care for some wine?
- Baroness Oh? *she smiles a bit and extends her cup as if she expected it*
- Player: Read the Town Cryer much?
- Baroness I have one of my servants read it to me. I think they make up stories to sell issues.
- Player: What of the ambushes?
- Baroness People ought not to go on the roads anyway, dangerous places! Wouldn't catch me out there without my personal militia.
- Player: What of the treasures?
- Baroness I've got plenty of treasure, you could probably use some of it though *smiles slightly and shuffles away some*
- Player: What of the Lycaeum?
- Baroness Moonglow is too hot anyway! The climate here in Vesper is much more appealing.
- Guard What do you want? I'm off duty!
- Player: Buy you a drink?
- Guard Guards aren't allowed to accept gifts. But if you buy an extra mug of cider and I happen to drink it, no calling the guards! *winks*
- Player: So you're a guard?
- Guard No, I wear platemail because I like the way it tones the muscles in my legs during kilt season. Of course I'm a guard!
- Player: Town Cryer has been troubling...
- Guard Has it? If you citizens only knew the half of what we dealt with on a regular basis, you'd never leave your homes! Lucky for you there's guys like me who stand up to the scum of our society and make sure you are safe!
- Player: What of the ambushes?
- Guard Roads are dangerous places, always best to check in with guard outposts when going on long journeys. And carry a blade or bow.
- Player: What of the treasures?
- Guard Did they find the treasure inside city limits? No? Then I'll concentrate on this cider. *glug* *glug* *glug*
- Player: What of the Lycaeum?
- Guard We don't comment on investigations that are ongoing.
- Merchant I'll have another mug of ale, and send over some bacon! All this ale has given me a King's hunger!
- Player: I'm no wench, but could I buy you a drink?
- Merchant Well met...and of course! I'm never one to turn down a free drink!
- Player: What business are you in, mate?
- Merchant I'm a dealer of this and that, a merchant of sorts. If it's *hic* something I can move off the shelves, I'm willing to buy and sell it!
- Player: Have you read the latest Town Cryer?
- Merchant That old rag? Don't know why we even need that paper - bunch of sensationalist stories if you ask me!
- Player: What of the ambushes?
- Merchant That sort of thing happens all the time, and that's what we've got the guards for! No matter, hasn't hurt my business - so nothing to be concerned about as far as I care.
- Player: What of the treasures?
- Merchant Who am I to begrudge some treasure hunters trying to make some honest coin? So they dug up some weird stuff, people do that all the time! Once I caught a pillow fishing - the strangest thing!
- Player: What of the Lycaeum?
- Merchant They need to up the security at the Lycaeum, less this sort of thing is going to keep happening - ah no bother. Hopefully whatever they stole ends up on the market and it'll fetch me some coin!
Sherry The Mouse
After you speak with all three NPCs, Sherry the Mouse, hiding over in the corner behind the bar, will pop up some text of her own.
- Sherry the Mouse *squeak! squeak!* I hope you'll pardon the intrusion, but I couldn't help but overhear your conversations with some of the tavern goers *mousey-grin* Perhaps you could see fit to lend me your attention so that I may perhaps give you a different perspective of things? *the mouse scurries off to a corner of the tavern*
Double click on her to continue the conversation. She will offer you the quest "A Squeaky Request".
- Sherry the Mouse *squeak squeak* Thank you for taking the time to speak to me! *mousey grin* What if I told you the recent events you've read about in the Town Cryer were the beginning of a terrible evil? I know...I know...you've heard it before and I'm sure you'll want to know what's in it for you. I can only tell you what I've seen and heard, and heroes like you will need to stand and defend Britannia against the coming evil. There are powerful forces at work in the ethereal void! I may be just a mouse but you don't have to take my word for it! Take this spell scroll and use it to travel to the Ethereal Void. There you will meet a mage called Mythran, please give him this note. Learn from him all you can, and together we may stand a chance!
Once you accept the quest, Sherry will give you 2 quest items.
Mythran The Thaumaturgist
Once you cast the Ethereal Travel spell (click on the icon in the scroll), you are transported to the home of Mythran The Thaumaturgist in the Ethereal Void.
Note, you cannot mark in Mythran's home, but you can recall out.
- Mythran The Thaumaturgist Given you haven't jumped into the void I'll assume your intentions are genuine, what's this? *You hand him the note* Sherry is persistent isn't she. She is right you know, even though I doubt Britannians will listen. The ambushes you've read about, the strange objects recovered from the maps? And now the incident at your Lycaeum? They are all related you know - and I'm afraid the situation is not good. If you'd like to read more of my research feel free to explore my home, the jist of it, however, is your world and my...former..world are on a collision course with an ancient and powerful evil. I know, I know, its something you've heard before - but you must understand. This is different. My colleague Heigel was researching at the Lycaeum. I haven't been able to reach him since the article in the Town Cryer about the break-in there. Would you check on him, it would mean the world to me.
On the right side of the hall, a small table is brought to your attention with, "*You notice the drawer of the small table slightly open...* This is the research Mythran mentioned. It has multiple books inside:
- An Updated History of Pagan, Volume I
- An Updated History of Pagan, Volume II
- An Updated History of Pagan, Volume III
- An Updated History of Pagan, Volume IV
- An Updated History of Pagan, Volume V
- An Updated History of Pagan, Volume VI
- Letter I - Mythran’s Plea
- Letter II - Heigel’s Introduction
- Letter III - Mythran’s Warning
- Letter IV - Heigel’s Research
- Letter V - Mythran’s Plan
- The Reagents of Thaumaturgy
- Spell of Ethereal Travel - Ort Grav Por
Additionally, there are 4 different books on the nearby counters, each also named "Research Notes".
However, attempting to read any of these books at this point will result only in "*You don't make anything of it.*"
Heigel The Scholar
- (emoted): *Heigel is moaning in pain. His robe is soaked through with blood from a large wound on his abdomen*
- Player: Heigel! Mythran sent me...let me help!
- (emoted): *They are unresponsive*
- (server message): You've found Heigel, however he is badly injured. The article in the Town Cryer didn't seem like the crimes here were as bad as they are before you...
- (server message): Heigel's lifeforce has expired, perhaps you should examine him closely to glean additional information for your quest...
Double click on Heigel, and:
- Heigel The Scholar *Cough...Cough* Heigel looks into your eyes and before shuffling off into the eternal void, he slips you a rolled piece of parchment. Looking into your eyes his dyeing words are, "Go to Mythran...Become the Warrior of Ether"
This will now get you started on the "A Dying Wish" quest, and place a Blood Soaked Parchment into your pack. Now go back to Mythran.
- (server message): You found Heigel, however he was badly injured. Despite your best efforts to offer first aid, his lifeforce slipped away as you comforted him in your arms. You deliver the news and the parchment to Mythran.
- Mythran The Thaumaturgist Heigel's death only underscores the seriousness of what must be done. Fortunately Heigel was able to isolate incidents across Britannia that are directly related to the recovery of the components of the obelisk. We must continue Heigel's research, with it we can recover the artifacts and you can become a Warrior of Ether! Only then will you be powerful enough to fight the coming threats from Pagan...
This will now get you started on the "Warrior of Ether" quest, and place a Pagan Spellbook into your pack. You also now can open and read the books in Mythran's house.
Now that you have the Pagan Spellbook , you can place the following three scrolls into it:
The Ethereal Travel scroll, however, cannot be placed into the spellbook.
Caution! If you drag a stack of any of those three scrolls onto the Pagan Spellbook, it will eat all of the scrolls. Make sure that you are only dropping a single scroll!
Warrior of Ether Quest
Heart of Earth
You will need to travel to Iver's Rounding. That's the small island just off the northeast coast of Skara Brae. Using a boat is recommended, rather than just using a preexisting rune, as the island is swarming with undead, including Liches, Lich Lords, and Skeletal Dragons... and there are no healers on the island. If you die, you will either need to be able to get onto a boat, or use the "stuck" option to leave the island.
Just keep killing undead on the island. Eventually a Key Of The Caretaker will drop into your pack, and you'll get a message that "*You recover an unusual wand from the corpse...*".
|Key Of The Caretaker||Necromancy||This wand is similar to the one described in Heigel's research. The shaft is made of etched white metal, with jade adornments. A skull sits on top. It doesn't feel real. Not that you've had the pleasure of handling many skulls...|
In Vas Corp
Presumably this is a very old spell, with archaic spellings, as the reagent is today properly spelled 'Blackmoor', rather than 'Blackmoore'.
Casting the SpellNow, get a Pouch from any NPC provisioner. Place 1 Blackmoor and 1 Executioner's Cap inside.
Now return to Iver's Rounding. Double-click on the Key Of The Caretaker, and target the pouch. The screen will flash, then a gump will appear:
You will now find the reagents in the pouch have vanished, and a Heart of Earth has appeared!
Note, you can repeat this spell, but it may only be cast once per day.
Tongue of Flames
This part will likely take the longest to prepare for, to collect all of the required reagents to cast the spell.
Kal Flam Corp Xen
Presumably this is a very old spell, with archaic spellings, as the reagent is today properly spelled 'Sulfurous Ash', rather than 'Sulpherous Ash'.
For the first part, any pentagram, including one in a player house, can be used. The candles can be locked down, and are not consumed by casting the spell. Only the Daemon Bone, Pumice, and Obsidian will be consumed by the casting of the spell.
The circle that touches each of the 5 points of the pentagram is the Periferon.
Placing the candles
For this spell, red candles should be placed at all points except Mesosteal Ze. A black candle should be placed at Mesosteal Ze.
Note: If anyone wants to set up a public or guild pentagram for others to use to create their own Focui, it is safe to do so, as the candles are not consumed by the spell. Simply lock down the 5 candles and let the users provide their own reagents.
Placing the reagents
For this spell:
- Daemon Bone at Aphelion
- Obsidian at Perivolcan Pa and Perivolcan Ze
- Pumice at Mesostel Za
- Sulfurous Ash at Mesostel Ze
Creating the focus
Once you have all the candles and other reagents placed, stand to the side of the pentagram, and say the words "Kal Flam Corp Xen".
The screen will flash, the reagents (but not the candles!) will disappear, and a Focus will appear in your pack.
Note: There is no limit to how many Focui you can create, and they do not expire. However, you can only cast the spell once per day.
Using the Focus
Take the Focus to the Daemon Temple on Trammel Fire Island. Stand in the middle of the pentagram on the top of the temple and speak the words "Kal Flam Corp Xen". Perihelion will appear and immediately attack.
Once he is killed, the Tongue Of Flames will pop into your pack, and you will see:
Note: Anyone in your party who gets looting rights will also get a Tongue Of Flames.
This spell is nearly identical to the Summon Daemon spell in Ultima VIII. The only differences are the spelling of the power words ("Kal Flam Corp Xen" instead of "Cal Flam Corp Xen") and the use of Sulpherous Ash instead of Volcanic Ash. Volcanic Ash did once exist in Ultima Online, when it spawned back in 1999 along with the other Pagan reagents, but all Volcanic Ash was changed into Grave Dust when Age of Shadows went live.
Breath of Air
In order to gain the Breath of Air, you will first need a Focus of Theurgy.
Focus Of Theurgy
You will need 20 Quicksilver to craft the focus, which can be farmed as a semi-rare drop from the Quicksilver Elementals spawning outside of the Minoc caves. The chance for a Quicksilver Elemental to drop Quicksilver seems to be around 15%.
Caution, Quicksilver Elementals are not too difficult by themselves, but the area is now swarming with them, and the respawn rate is high.
Once you have the Quicksilver, you will need 100.0 Magery and 100.0 Tinkering to craft the Focus Of Theurgy. A Master Craftsman Talisman with Crafting Failure Protection is highly advised. The cost in materials to get one is relatively minimal, considering that you can lose 5 to 10 Quicksilver with each failure, and the success chance is only 21%. The talisman will not guarantee you success, but it will prevent you from losing any Quicksilver when you fail.
In Sanct An Jux
Casting the Spell
Once you have the Focus of Theurgy, make sure it is in your pack - not equipped! - and stand in front of the pile of boulders blocking the cave entrance. Speak the words "In Sanct An Jux".
The screen will flash, then you will move into the cavern and a gump will appear:
You now have the Breath of Air in your pack! (...and the Focus of Theurgy has been destroyed.)
Tear of Seas
Kalen the Necromancer
For this quest, you need to seek out Kalen the Necromancer in eastern flooded Vesper:
Kalen will offer you the "Kalen's Lament" quest:
- Kalen The Necromancer Many generations ago I became a hero to my people. I fell in love with my Apprentice, and we were to undergo the Ceremony of Bonding...but...tragedy befell us as Hydros let his displeasure be known, sending a great wave that washed away my beloved into the sea...I have nothing left of my beloved. If only I had a memento to remember her...
The Staff Of Kalen's Apprentice
Your goal is to go seek out the The Staff Of Kalen's Apprentice. You'll need to start fishing up SOSes until you find one. Any SOSes will work; they do not need to be freshly fished up. Ancient SOSes will also work. The character with the quest has to do the fishing, you can't just use your fisherman.
You may have to do several dozen before you get lucky, but it'll be hard to miss once you do finally find it, as a special gump will pop up a message:
Toggle the staff as a quest item and return to Kalen to receive the Tear Of Seas.
Note: You can fish up more than one staff if you keep fishing before you complete the quest.
Becoming the Warrior of Ether
Mark all 4 items as quest items and return to Mythran.
He will tell you:
Pagan Titan Slayer" property on your weapon. Note, you do not need to include the Stone Cache, though the obelisk does look better when it is included:
Part IV: The Evil From Afar
This part started on September 6, 2017:
- 2017-09-06: In preparation for the next stage of the Shattered Obelisk, Part IV will be activated today on Origin, with other shards being activated tomorrow.
- Due to problems with the content on Origin, Part IV was turned off on Origin.
- 2017-09-07: All shards are now active.
As the full picture of recent events in Britannia come into focus it all begins to make sense. Cultists influenced by zealots from the far away world known as Pagan have used ancient magics to open a gateway to this dead and vile world. Using that gateway the armies of the Elemental Titans have leeched into Britannia, bringing with them catastrophe and chaos. At the behest of Sherry the Mouse and with the aide of Mythran, Britannia stands a chance to fend off this coming disaster – but to the victors go the spoils, can Britannia and her people’s emerge victorious?
The Town Cryer
Eligibility For Part V
Special note: Part IV includes invasions throughout Britannia. While creatures killed have a chance to drop special equipment, in order to be eligible for non-equipment & decorative rewards in Part V a character must battle the elemental titans of Part IV. Eligibility is determined by damage taken, damage dealt, and damage healed from elemental titans.
Invasion mobs are faster than normal mobs, and have 2 to 3 times the normal HP. Otherwise, their stats seem to be the same as their non-invasion counterparts.
The Military Group will always be present, as well as one of the other groups.
Once all invaders have been killed, then a titan will spawn somewhere in the city.
Humanoid Monstrosities Group - Yew
"Yew is occupied by humanoid monstrosities! Creatures of towering terror torment the countryside!"
Air Group - Minoc
"Minoc ransacked! Horrors have decended on the city from the skies above!"
Draconic Group - Britain
"Britain is under attack! There be Dragons in the eastern side of the city! Proceed with caution!"
Swamp Group - Trinsic
"Creatures from the swamp infest the city!"
Fiery Beasts Group - Moonglow
"Moonglow has been thrown into the fires of despair! Horrific fiery beasts invade!"
Undead Group - Skara Brae
"Horrific undead are rising from the ground!"
Water Group - Vesper
"Vesper is flooded with invaders! Creatures of ice and cold chill the streets!"
- Frost Dragon
- Frost Ooze
- Frost Spider
- Giant Ice Worm
- Ice Elemental
- Ice Fiend
- Snow Elemental
- Water Elemental
Military Group - all cities
- *Name* The Cultist - note, most Cultists cannot be attacked, even though they are red
- *Name* The Thief - note, Thieves cannot be attacked, even though they are grey
- *Name* The Recruit
- *Name* The Scout
- *Name* The Corporal
- *Name* The Captain
- *Name* The Lieutenant
- [[UO:General|*Name* The General] - note, Repond slayer has no effect on generals.
The cities of Trammel are being invaded. The invaders drop their armor, which is special colored.
Additionally, the blue paladins in the Trinsic Training Hall occasionally get killed by the spawn. They carry a uniquely colored Metal Kite Shield with hue 1158:
When Captains and Generals are killed, you get a pack drop of either a weapon or a spellbook. The properties on these are well over the property caps.
For the 2008 War of Shadows city invasions, the best possible spellbooks had either:
This time around, there are two different limits. For spellbooks without a slayer property, extremely high Spell Damage Increase books are dropping, now capped at 50%. These are dropped by healers from the Military group.
For spellbooks with a slayer property, the limit seems to be the same as 2008. These are dropped by mages from the Military group.
- (slayer type) Slayer
- Defense Chance Increase 0% to 10%
- Spell Damage Increase 15% to 30%
- Faster Cast Recovery 1 to 2
- Lower Mana Cost 2% to 5%
The slayer types seen include almost all of them, including all talisman, slayer, and super-slayer types, though none of the Eodon slayers (Dinosaur, Myrmidex, Eodon, Eodon tribe):
- Air Elemental (1.27%, 1 in 78.5)
- Arachnid (8.7%, 1 in 11.48)
- Bat (1.48%, 1 in 67.28)
- Beetle (0.84%, 1 in 117.75)
- Bear (2.12%, 1 in 47.1)
- Bird (0.42%, 1 in 235.5)
- Blood Elemental (1.06%, 1 in 94.2)
- Bovine (2.54%, 1 in 39.25)
- Demon (12.52%, 1 in 7.98)
- Dragon (7.64%, 1 in 13.08)
- Earth Elemental (1.27%, 1 in 78.5)
- Elemental (9.12%, 1 in 10.95)
- Fey (8.7%, 1 in 11.48)
- Fire Elemental (1.69 %, 1 in 58.87)
- Flame (0.63%, 1 in 157)
- Gargoyle (1.06%, 1 in 94.2)
- Goblin (0.84%, 1 in 117.75)
- Ice (1.27%, 1 in 78.5)
- Lizardman (1.48%, 1 in 67.28)
- Mage (1.69%, 1 in 58.87)
- Ogre (1.48%, 1 in 67.28)
- Ophidian (0.84%, 1 in 117.75)
- Orc (1.69%, 1 in 58.87)
- Poison Elemental (0.84% , 1 in 117.75)
- Repond (9.97%, 1 in 10.02)
- Reptile (0.84%, 1 in 117.75)
- Scorpion (1.69%, 1 in 58.87)
- Snake (0.42%, 1 in 235.5)
- Snow Elemental (0.42%, 1 in 235.5)
- Spider (0.42%, 1 in 235.5)
- Terathan (1.06%, 1 in 94.2)
- Troll (1.27%, 1 in 78.5)
- Undead (9.34%, 1 in 10.7)
- Vermin (0.42%, 1 in 235.5)
- Water Elemental (1.48%, 1 in 67.28)
- Wolf (1.27%, 1 in 78.5)
(Drop rate percentage statistics courtesy of veterinary meister, based on 471 drops.)
Weapons with overcapped properties are being dropped as pack drops from Captains and Generals. Weapons with the Damage Eater property have also been seen.
- Damage Eater up to 18% (normally not seen on weapons)
- Hit Mana Leech up to 100% (cap is 50%)
- Damage Increase up to 100% (cap is 50% for weapons)
- Hit Fireball up to 80% (cap is 50%)
The best type of weapon is debatable, but a perfect one dropping from a General would have:
Bows with overcapped properties are being dropped as pack drops from Captains and Generals. So far, Bow, Heavy Crossbow, Crossbow, and Cyclone have been seen.
- Hit Lower Defense up to 30%
- Hit Mana Leech up to 50%
- Damage Increase up to 100% (cap is 50% for weapons)
A perfect bow dropping from a General would have:
Overcapped Luck Items
Weapons and armor with luck as high as 150 are dropping on corpses of Titans.
Part V – September 28, 2017
- "Update 8/18/2017: We have resolved the issue with missing trade crates on all shards except Oceania. Oceania will be re-activated following their next maintenance. Thank you for your patience while we addressed this issue." https://uo.com/2017/08/17/shattered-obelisk-reactivated/